Contents:

What can you find here? Reviews of new and not quite so new Sherlock Holmes novels and collections. Interviews with authors, link to blogs worth following, links to where you can purchase my books and some reviews of my work garnered from Amazon sites. Plus a few scary pics of me and a link to various Lyme Regis videos on YouTube...see what we do here and how....and indeed why!!! Next to the Lyme Regis Video Bar is a Jeremy Brett as Holmes Video Bar and now a Ross K Video Bar. And stories and poems galore in the archives.

Thursday 23 June 2016

The Tempest- An Interview with Maya Pieris

Maya Pieris takes on the character on the Boatswain in the forthcoming production of The Tempest of Lyme. A busy woman, but she found the time to answer a few questions:

         What made you want to get involved in this production?

       Well it’s all Declan Duffy’s fault! 2 years ago I did a physical theatre weekend with Niki McCretton at Bridport Arts Centre and he was on and suggested I might want to do some amdram so I joined Encore who were about to do Oh What a Lovely War which was a fab experience. Then got a part in a first play written by Lorraine Parnell who lives in Bridport and was hooked! I then joined up for the Dorchester Community Play and saw then saw the ad for this production and decided to give it a go and audition. Clemmie was brill at the audition and flexible over time and put me utterly at ease. I said I would be happy with anything and landed the part of the Boatswain, one of the lesser known gems of the play, and in the chorus so was “well pleased”! so far all the rehearsals have been fun joined to hard work.

     And how are you enjoying the rehearsals etc?       
                           

   So yes I am enjoying the rehearsals and being part of a group-we all start together and end together with gentle and quiet leading from the front. And everyone’s fun and friendly and supportive.

      Have you a theatre background?

          I definitely have a theatre background- I played a cat aged 6, one of a group, dressed in pyjamas with a tail who were all doing a “turn” to What’s new Pussycat and having been terrified about going on I then had to be lifted off the stage as I was really enjoying it! I was then the wardrobe mistress for my 3rd year primary school nativity play in charge of T towels for the shepherds, wrote my first play in turquoise ink, a whodunit, aged 12, was in Dido and Aeneas and then a brief break of 20 years before doing 2 more Baroque operas, another break and then Bridport and Lyme. One needs to rest!!

           You have been heavily involved in food since moving down to Dorset. How did that come about?

       My life as a “foodie” is in the past!! I did run Four Season Preserves, an apparently award winning preserves business though not much business and had 2 brushes with TV in the form of the Hungry Sailors and the Hairy Bikers one of whom I used to know “well” at college when we both had more hair and hair colour! I started the business back in Hertfordshire from where we moved in 2010 but for various reasons couldn’t regain the momentum. But everything has a season!! Like a cat I’d used up my 4!

      You are also known for your writing including a recent play. Can I twist your arm to tell us more?   
                                                                
        Since moving here I have regained my writing “mojo” and had some success over the last 4 years with publications and not always self-published. I used to write with Story traders in Bridport who provided a great chance to get back on the chair and sit at the desk and continue to attend Annie Freud’s poetry group in Cattistock and various courses run by the Bridport Arts Centre and others. And yes amazingly I’ve just won a Page to Stage award with the Tacchi Morris Arts Centre in Taunton- the prize was having the play performed and I had just over 2 weeks to get the actors etc! It was a scripted performance but was the first time I’d had to do production/direction too! And it went brilliantly with interest shown by a Lincolnshire community playgroup for me to take it there! The play is in 3 acts but it was the middle one that went forward for the award and it was about a strike by girls at Gundry’s net factory in 1912. The outer 2 acts are Punch and Judy shows! Hopefully the whole play will be done next year with Bridport Museum advertising it.The idea was inspired by research and writing undertaken by Carlos Guarita and a re-enactment of the strike by the Bridport Wildcats.
                                                                         WATCH THIS SPACE!    
                                                                         

          If anyone is undecided whether to come and see The Tempest of Lyme, how would you convince them?

          And as for coming to the play –well be there or miss one of the best events of the year in the area! Will be the best of community play working. I’m hoping to have a Hertfordshire group come down.


 Thanks Maya.           
              







No comments: